Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lesson 3: Analysing and Composing a poem

Analyze this:
The Son is in Secondary School by Affran Sa'at


My badge has a Latin motto
Hope for the future
The future is hope
Or something
At times black crows try to interrupt
When we sing the National Anthem
It is difficult to maintain
The whiteness of my shoes
Especially on Wednesdays
I must admit there is something quite special
About the bare thighs of hardworking scouts
The Malay chauffeurs
Who wait for my schoolmates
Sit on the car park kerb
Telling jokes to one another
Seven to the power of five is unreasonable
On Chinese New Year
Mrs Lee dressed up
In a sarong kebaya
And sang Bengawan Solo
The capital of Singapore is Singapore
My best friend did a heroic thing once
Shaded all A's
For his Chinese Language
Multiple-choice paper
In our annual yearbook
There is a photograph of me
Pushing a wheelchair and smiling
They caught me
At the exact moment
When my eyes were actually closed

Analyze:

This poem is a free verse poem. It has no regular rhythm or rhyme, which makes the poem sound more natural. It some gives the reader and author more freedom, where the reader can choose how to read and the writer will not be restricted to a rhythm or rhyme only, which will let the the writer express more on the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment